Scientist Profile Revised

Laurie Ann Nommsen-Rivers: Registered Dietician & Lactation Consultant

Expectant parents are often taught that breast fed is the best fed. It has been found that breastfeeding provides infants with disease-fighting substances that protects them from an elongated list of illnesses. Breast milk is comprised of vitamins and nutrients that are essentially important to a baby’s development during their first six months of life. Not only is breastfeeding beneficial to the infant but it also has notable maternal benefits. It has been linked to reducing the risk of postpartum development, stress levels and some types of cancers in nursing women. Laurie Ann Nommsen-Rivers, a registered dietician and lactation consultant, devoted 18 years of hands-on research and studies in breastfeeding. Laurie Ann Nommsen-Rivers is linked to over 20 peer-reviewed publications, 105 research papers and has co-authored over 70 research publications related to breastfeeding and barriers that impedes lactation success. Her dedication, motivation, and desire to advance in the field of lactation/ breastfeeding is evident and notable. I truly admire Laurie Ann Nommsen-Rivers research, because I desire to become a mother while managing a career as a neonatal nurse. Her research has inspired me to not just breastfeed when I become a first-time mother, but to also provide the parturient women whom I will care for in my field with the knowledge and benefits of proper breastfeeding. Her publications and research will help me to thrive in my future career with confidence and ease. Laurie Ann Nommsen-Rivers is an inspiration to me as a future mother as well as my anticipated career as a neonatal nurse.

Laurie Ann Nommsen-Rivers became a registered dietician (R.D) in 1990. In 1993, she became an International Board-Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC). Laurie Ann Nommsen-Rivers then served nine years as the Associate Editor of the Journal of Human Lactation from 1997 until 2006. She is very prominent in her field of study and her affinity to breastfeeding and lactation is obvious through her extensive work history and research in the field. She continued her education at University of California Davis where she acquired a master’s degree in nutrition. Laurie Ann Nommsen-Rivers obvious urges to advance in human lactation provoked and inspired her to work with hundreds of breastfeeding mother-infant dyads throughout her 18 years as a research associate. In 2004, she circled back to the University of California where she obtained a PhD in epidemiology. Laurie Ann Nommsen-Rivers stated that her interests in epidemiology arose when she worked as a research associate with Kay Dewey’s program in human lactation and breastfeeding. Her job position required her to support new mothers in assisting them in meeting their breastfeeding goals. She was struck by the lack of evidence that was available in guiding breastfeeding management decisions. Laurie Ann Nommsen-Rivers felt that a PHD in epidemiology would prepare her to be able to answer clinical research questions about breastfeeding management. Essentially, she figured that since epidemiology is the science of how to pursue research questions that involved human health it would greatly benefit her career. From 2009- 2016 Laurie Ann Nommsen-Rivers spent approximately seven years as an Assistant Professor of Pediatrics in the Division of Neonatology at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center. Her focus has been constant, relentless and exemplary.

At present, Laurie Ann Nommsen-Rivers is an Associate Professor of Nutritional Services and the Ruth Rosevear Endowed Chair of Maternal and Child Nutrition, at the University of Cincinnati. One of her many research articles that grasped my attention was her article titled “Growth of breastfed infants.” The article contrasts the growth between breastfed and formula-fed infants and “describe the development and utilization of infant growth references and growth standards; introduces the new World Health Organization growth velocity standards for early infancy (which provide standards for gain in g/day during the first weeks of life)” (Nommsen-Rivers and Dewey, 2018). In this publication, Laurie Ann Nommsen-Rivers analyzes and correlates infant growth rates to the type of lactation the babies are receiving and their weight. She also weighs in on how the retrieval of breastmilk to infants in the first two days and so on is vitally important to the growth and development of the infant in the future. Her publications could give you the impression that she opposes formula feeding. Surprisingly, Laurie A Nommsen-Rivers doesn’t oppose formula feeding. She wants every parent to have the ability to make informed choices about infant feeding. Her position simply is that once parturient women or parents are well informed about the differences between formula versus breast milk and the amazing advantages to both the lactating mother and infant, almost everyone will choose breastfeeding.

As I continued to extend deeper into Laurie Ann Nommsen-Rivers research publications, I came across another article, this one titled “A Case Control Study of Diabetes During Pregnancy and Low Milk Supply.” The purpose of the study was to ascertain whether a mother with a record or history of diabetes during pregnancy as “a marker of perinatal glucose intolerance” augmented the odds of having a low milk supply diagnosis (Nommsen-Rivers and Riddle 2016). In the conclusion of the study, it was ruled out that nursing mothers diagnosed with a low supply of milk or low lactation were undoubtedly and significantly more probable to have had a diabetes diagnosis during pregnancy than that of women with any type of lactation problem. Women with latch or nipple problems were less likely to have a diabetes diagnosis during pregnancy. The publication suggested that maternal glucose intolerance impeded lactation. Laurie Ann Nommsen-Rivers continued to study deeper into this as further research was needed in elucidating exactly how maternal glucose intolerance stopped and impacted maternal lactation. This study ties into Laurie Ann Nommsen-Rivers career; hence, this study was prompted from her observations of an overwhelming number of new mothers that suffered from a delayed lactogenesis. The research basically points out how a mother’s metabolic health is eminently vital for supporting robust milk production. Laurie Ann Nommsen-Rivers conducted this research to help indicate the importance of maternal metabolic health and how it’s linked to quality breastmilk production and infant weight-lost due to babies only receiving colostrum beyond 72 hours. Her research from this study shows her non-stop commitment to her field and career.

Throughout the review of the abstracts of Ms. Nommsen-Rivers research publications I continuously found the trend of maternal lactation and proper infant and maternal nutrition. The correlation to lactation impediment and maternal and infant health is also noted. In a publication authored solely by Nommsen and titled, “Does Insulin Explain the Relation between Maternal Obesity and Poor Lactation Outcomes? An Overview of the Literature”, Laurie Ann Nommsen-Rivers elaborates on the correlation of obese pregnant women and the augmented risk of postponed or delayed lactogenesis or initiation of lactation and a short duration of breastfeeding. The abstract of the publication goes on to explain the connection of maternal obesity and a significant risk factor for pre-diabetes and insulin resistance. In this publication, Laurie Ann Nommsen-Rivers finds that “insulin is now considered to play a direct role in lactation, including essential roles in secretory differentiation, secretory activation, and mature milk production” (Nommsen-Rivers 2016). Her interests in this field continuously fuel her constant research.

Laurie Ann Nommsen-Rivers is completely dedicated to the maternal lactation and infant nutrition field of her study. Her dedication to continuously research and improve lactation in breastfeeding dyad’s is exemplary. At no time in her career has she stopped her research on the topic. Instead, Laurie Ann Nommsen-Rivers spent majority of her life and still is advancing in her career, acquiring more credentials and staying engaged in activities that would increase her knowledge for the betterment of the nursing mother’s lactation improvement. Her invested research is admirable and exhibits everything that someone should desire to have in their field of study. She inspires me to pursue my dreams of being a neonatal nurse. Her determination has taught me to never stop investing in what I believe me. Her work and research data have greatly impacted my decision in lactation methods (breastfeeding) when I become a first-time mother. I admire her continuous research into the lactation field, her publications discuss the issues that exist amongst breastfeeding while also dishing out the benefits of proper long-term breastfeeding. Today, parturient women or women whom just gave birth or will bring forth a child are strongly encouraged to breastfeed. The issue with this as Laurie Ann Nommsen-Rivers discerned in many of her publications is that several women suffer from lactation issues such as not being able to lactate, not being properly educated about breastfeeding, improper latching, and nipple problems that lead to short-term breastfeeding. Due to this several mothers and their infants can’t benefit from the long-term effects that breastfeeding have for both the mother and their baby. Laurie Ann Nommsen-Rivers continued her research in this field to increase her knowledge, experience and expertise as a current lactation consultant. Laurie Ann Nommsen-Rivers is relentless, motivated, and remarkably profound in lactogenesis advancement. I will retain information acquired from her research and continue to read her publications so that I can become more knowledgeable and thrive as a well-informed neonatal nurse and nurturing mother that I dream to become one day.

Interview Questions

1. What inspired/provoked your interest in pursuing a PHD in epidemiology?? I was working as a research associate with Kay Dewey’s program in human lactation and breastfeeding. A lot of my work involved supporting new mothers in meeting their breastfeeding goals. I was struck by how little evidence there was to guide breastfeeding management decisions. Since Epidemiology is the science of how to pursue research questions involving human health, I felt that this training would be prepare me to answer clinical research questions about breastfeeding management.
  2. Why do you oppose formula feeding? If so, do you oppose it in cases where it’s generally recommended? I do not oppose formula feeding. I strongly support every parent being able to make an informed choice about infant feeding, and in being supported by health care professionals, their family, and their community in carrying out their choice. The fact is, that once parents are informed of the differences in breast milk versus formula and the tremendous advantages to both infant and lactating mother, nearly everyone chooses breastfeeding. Today in the US, 85% of all new parents start off with breastfeeding.
  3. Do you have children of your own? If so, did you breastfeed them? Why/ Why not? Yes. I have two biological children that I breastfed. My first for 18 months and my second for 4 years. No one in my family had experience with breastfeeding. My mother’s generation all used formula. I was only 22 when I gave birth to my first child, and I was extremely fortunate that the midwives who attended my delivery encouraged me to breastfeed. I also received home visits and they helped me with breastfeeding at home too. My experience has fueled my passion for ensuring that all new parents are informed and supported with breastfeeding. It was very empowering as a new mother to be able to provide such wonderful nutrition to my daughter.
  4. What encouraged your publication about glucose intolerance and low milk supply? This study was prompted by observing that too many new mothers have delayed lactogenesis. That is, a delay of greater than 72 hours for the onset of copious milk production. Prior to lactogenesis, the mammary gland produces small quantities of colostrum. But if babies are only receiving colostrum beyond 72 hours, they will start to lose too much weight. My research is pointing to mother’s metabolic health being very important for supporting robust milk production.
  5. Why are lactation issues important to you? See above for the why. The most import lactation issues to me are identifying barriers to parents achieving their breastfeeding goals and ensuring that ALL parents have access to breastfeeding information in pregnancy, baby-friendly hospitals during the maternity stay, and strong breastfeeding support after leaving the hospital.
  6. What made you pursue your current career? See question 3.
  7. What advice would you give parturient women who are experiencing lactating issues? Seek help from a health care professional knowledgeable about breastfeeding ASAP. Nearly all new mothers struggle initially with breastfeeding. Persevering through the initial challenges will pay off with breastfeeding benefits for mother and baby for months and years to come. This is usually an International Board-Certified Lactation Consultant. WIC often has lactation consultants on staff. During pregnancy, find out about breastfeeding support in your community. Contact parent support groups such as ROSE, Breastfeeding USA, WIC, or LaLeche League.

Works Cited

Dewey Kathryn G., Nommsen-Rivers, Laurie. “Growth of breastfed infants”. Breastfeeding Medicines. Volume 4, Issue S1. Mary Ann Liebert, Inc. 14 Oct 2009. pp S45-S49. https://doi.org/10.1089/bfm.2009.0048.
Nommsen-Rivers, Laurie A . “Does Insulin Explain the Relation between Maternal Obesity and Poor Lactation Outcomes? An Overview of the Literature”, Advances in Nutrition, Volume 7, Issue 2. American Society for Nutrition. 9 March 2016. pp 407–414, https://doi.org/10.3945/an.115.011007.
Nommsen-Rivers, Laurie A. (2018). http://www.laurienommsenrivers.com/.
Riddle, Sarah W., Nommsen-Rivers, Laurie A. “A Case Control Study of Diabetes During Pregnancy and Low Milk Supply”. Breastfeeding Medicines. Volume 11, Issue 2. Mary Ann Liebert, Inc. 8 March 2016. https://doi.org/10.1089/bfm.2015.0120.
University of Cincinnati. “Laurie Ann Nommsen-Rivers”. University of Cincinnati Research Directory. https://researchdirectory.uc.edu/p/nommsele.